You are an intelligence analyst for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) assigned to the Counterintelligence (CI) Division. You have been embedded on the Kartesia Country Team and are responsible for producing a counterintelligence assessment to forecast the potential counterintelligence threat posed by Kartesia.
For many years, Kartesia and the United States have been political and economic adversaries. Kartesia, which is led by an oppressive dictatorship, has long feared that the United States will initiate military action against it to topple the regime and institute a democratic form of government. Although Kartesia’s ability to engage the United States in traditional warfare is limited, it has a very well developed and sophisticated intelligence apparatus that it deploys in the United States, as well as against the U.S. presence within Kartesia in other third world countries. The Kartesia Intelligence Services (KIS) also heavily target antiregime elements in the United States, most of which exist within several large Kartesian émigré communities located throughout the country. Kartesia also has a long history of supporting other groups and countries that are hostile to the United States, including providing financial and logistical support to terrorist groups.
The U.S. intelligence community (USIC) has designated Kartesia a high-priority target, as is reflected in the National Intelligence Priorities Framework (NIPF). FBI resources dedicated to countering the intelligence activities of Kartesia in the United States are also in a position to fill these broader USIC requirements. One topic of particular concern to the USIC is whether Kartesia has a program to develop weapons of mass destruction (WMD), and if so, what its plans, capabilities, and intentions are.
For this assignment, you must write a paper of 750–1,000 words discussing how U.S. counterintelligence will be used to counter the potential threat from Kartesia.
- In a paper of 750–1,000 words, address the following:
- What is the purpose of the National Intelligence Priorities Framework (NIPF)? Explain.
- How do counterintelligence professionals utilize the NIPF? Explain.
- How does the FBI Counterintelligence Division utilize the steps of the intelligence cycle to validate threats and initiate counterintelligence assessments? Explain.
- Be sure to address each of the 6 phases of the intelligence cycle.
- How will counterintelligence be used to counter the potential threat from Kartesia? Explain.
- Compile your responses in your final paper, and submit the file to your instructor.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.