Using the Primary Health Care Roles and Functions Table, examine the primary health care professions and departments listed in the left column. Note that the list from the table is not all-inclusive. These are simply some of the most visible roles in primary health care.
Determine the following for each role or professional area:
- Where it fits as a component in the chronic health care model (refer to the Unit 4 media piece).
- What the job duties entail, or what services the job provides.
- What might motivate individuals in that job role (typically more than money).
- Whether the role is reimbursable by insurance.
- What specific education or preparation is required for the role (include degree and topic of study, such as bachelor’s degree in nursing).
- The name of the primary professional organization representing the role.
Once you have completed the table, pick one field in which you could see yourself potentially managing or working after graduation. In one or two paragraphs, describe the role as you see it. Describe how you would motivate your colleagues and employees. Identify professional organizations pertinent to this role.