Unit 5 Review Assignment
Please write in complete sentences. You should work on this assignment as you go through the assigned readings and chapters in your textbook. Avoid copying directly from the text. Your responses should be in your own words.
- What do we mean by the term “Pygmalion Effect?” How do leaders play Pygmalion roles?
- Relate positive organizational psychology to high expectations for performers.
- Explain why providing regular feedback is so important to motivation and performance. What is the “right climate” for feedback?
- Why should a leader personalize recognition?
- Informal recognition can be very effective. Read about the “Big Fish” award on page 291 of your textbook. Think about your own place of work, an organization where you are a member or perhaps your family environment. What might you do to provide an effective, informal and creative recognition system? Justify your decision.
- Explain the importance of using the simple words “please and thank you” in informal recognition.
- “Human beings are social animals.” How might leaders take advantage of this norm to build organizational success?
- Leadership is a relationship. In one paragraph, briefly discuss these two leadership concepts: Get personally involved and Show you care.
The Leadership Challenge Workbook
- On page 112 in your Workbook, Think of a time when someone has personally recognized you and has shown genuine appreciation for what you have accomplished. Describe this experience. How were you recognized? What did this person do to recognize you? What actions were taken? How did you feel? How can you use this experience to recognize others?
- Application 2 begins on page 118 of the Workbook and deals with the importance of using stories in the “encourage the heart” process. How can the art of storytelling enhance an organization?