Task 1: “ Review the royal academy of engineering guide engineering of sustainable development: Guiding Principles issued to you, and first a 700-750 word critique. Note that a “critique” involves critical recommendations. In this regard, what are sought from you are not merely a summary but your comments on the worth of the objective in creating the guide, and comment on those aspects of the guide that are successful and those that are less so.
Task 2: Then, second, take any area or subject of your choice from the topics covered by the guide and, on the basic of some web-based research (which needs to be properly referenced) and excluding Wikipedia, write a further approx. 750 words proposing improvements and/or updating that you think would be helpful, were the guide to be updated. Examples of the areas you might choose include the review of sustainability, the case studies, the principles, the desirability of extending its UK focus to an international context, or the guidance on applying the principle-the choice is yours.it can be broad on detailed.
Task1 no more 1200 words
Task 2 no more 1500 words
Construction, Environment & Sustainability-related websites and downloadable books & guides
UK Government o Department of the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs –
oDepartment of Energy and Climate Change – https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-energy-climate-change
oEnvironment Agency – www.environment-agency.gov.uk o Defence Infrastructure Organisation estate and sustainable development –
https://www.gov.uk/defence-infrastructure-organisation-estate-and-sustainable-development – look for Sustainability Appraisal
oNaturalEngland–www.naturalengland.org.uk o Sustainable Development Commission – www.sd-commission.org.uk (Now disbanded but still full
Of interesting material) o Environmental Regulations website – www.netregs.gov.ukand look for Focus on Construction.
- BREEAM – www.breeam.co.uk
- British Standards Institution – http://www.bsigroup.co.uk/en-GB/standards/#standards – for example for BS EN ISO 14001, Environmental management systems – Specification with guidance for use, first edition 2004, BSI
- BSRIA – www.bsria.co.uk for example for Environmental Code of Practice for Buildings and Their Services
- Civil Engineering Contractors’ Association – www.ceca.co.uk – see Technical Issues and Environment
- CEEQUAL – The Sustainability Assessment, Rating and Awards Scheme for civil engineering, infrastructure, landscaping and the public realm – www.ceequal.com
- CIRIA – www.ciria.org and their bookshop at http://www.ciria.org/CIRIA/Bookshop/Bookshop/Books/Bookshop.aspx?hkey=5d0b1bf4-bcee-4410- ade0-2dfb2a319cc2. For example, search for ‘sustainability’ and/or look for:
o Environmental good practice on site
oNewton J et al, Building greener. Guidance on the use of green roofs, green walls and complementary features on buildings (C644), CIRIA Publication.
- Design Manual for Roads & Bridges – www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/dmrb/index.htm
- Institution of Civil Engineers – http://www.ice.org.uk/topics/environment and review the available downloads on Environment & Sustainability
- Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment – http://www.iema.net
- Royal Academy of Engineering: Engineering for Sustainable Development: Guiding Principles – download from Moodle
- Sustainable Development at Queen’s University – http://www.qub.ac.uk/research- centres/WelcometoSustainableDevelopmentatQueens/UsefulLinks/SustainableDevelopmentandConst ructionWebsites/ rkv 6 February 2014