As a practical exercise for chapter 14, your task is to find a professional technical document, such as an instructional manual or a product tag for a home or garden product, and address the questions below. How thoroughly you address each question and support it with cited sources is worth 85% of your grade. Your writing skills (Grammar and APA) will make up the remaining 15%.
1. Describe the item in detail such as the instruction manual for a specific household appliance, the written instructions provided along with a prescribed medication, or the warning label on a hairdryer made by Conair.
2. Argue whether or not the writer and company included legal considerations when writing. For example, does the document appear to respect copy write law? Why or why not? Or, if it’s a product tag or label, evaluate it for safety, warranties, adequacy of instruction, defects, and liability. Analyze it for FTC and state standards.
3. Did the company break trademark, contract, or liability law? How?
4. Now, think as though you are a lawyer and examine every potential legal part of the document or tag. Do you believe changes should be made? Include your suggestions and/or ideas. In other words, be creative and think of ways people could hurt themselves or otherwise find the company at fault for injuries caused by the product and its use or misuse.
5. Finally, what was the most important lesson (if any) or your greatest take away from this exercise?